One of my original contributions to the area of affective computing and human-computer interaction
was developing models outlining how to encourage reporting of stigmatized health information and
using technology to design interventions based on those models. Some of those publications included:
- De Gennaro, M., Krumhuber, E. G., & Lucas, G. M. (2020). Effectiveness of an empathic
combating adverse effects of social exclusion on mood. Frontiers in Psychology, 10:3061.
- Lucas, G. M., Rizzo, A. S., Gratch, J., Scherer, S., Stratou, G., Boberg, J., & Morency,
(2019). Reporting mental health symptoms: Breaking down barriers to care with virtual human
interviewers. Slater, M., Sanchez-Vives, M. V., Rizzo, A., Bergamasco, M., eds. The Impact of
Virtual and Augmented Reality on Individuals and Society, pp. 256-264. Lausanne:
- Mell, J., Lucas, G. M., & Gratch, J. (2017). Prestige questions, online agents, and
gender-driven differences in disclosure. Proceedings of the 17th International Conference on
Intelligent Virtual Agents, 273-282.
- Lucas, G. M., Gratch, J., King, A. & Morency, L. P. (2014). It’s only a computer: Virtual
increase willingness to disclose. Computers in Human Behavior, 37, 94-100.
We also develop technology for teaching interpersonal negotiation and communication. In particular,
we build agents that can not only teach users skills that can be used in negotiations and to resolve
social dilemmas, but also afford them opportunities to practice these skills in a safe environment.
Some of those publications included:
- Chawla, K., Clever, R., Ramirez, J., Lucas, G. M., & Gratch, J. (2021). Towards
agents for negotiation dialogues. Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on
Computing and Intelligent Interaction.
- Lucas, G. M., Stratou, G , Lieblich, S., & Gratch, J. (2016). Trust me: Multimodal
trustworthiness. Proceedings of the 18th International Conference on Multimodal
- Johnson, E., Lucas, G. M., Kim, P. H., & Gratch, J. (2019). Intelligent Tutoring System
negotiation skills training. Proceedings of the International Conference on Artificial
Intelligence in Education, 122-127.
- Gratch, J., DeVault, D., & Lucas, G. M. (2016). The benefits of virtual humans for
negotiation. Proceedings of the 16th International Conference on Intelligent Virtual
My research has also explored the value of various social tactics, especially rapport building, to
allow technologies to better support human workers to complete joint tasks. Some of those
- Gratch, J. & Lucas, G. M. (2022). Rapport between humans and machines. ACM Handbook on
Interactive Agents, pp 433-462. New York: ACM Books.
- Bellas, A., Perrin, S., Malone, B., Rogers, K., Phillips, E. K., Tossell, C. C., de Visser, E.,
& Lucas, G. M. (2020). Rapport Building with Social Robots as a Method for Improving
Debriefing in Human-Robot Teams. Proceedings of the IEEE Systems and Information Engineering
Design Symposium, 160-163.
- Lucas, G. M., Lehr, J., Kraemer, N., & Gratch, J. (2019). The effectiveness of social
tactics when used by a virtual agent. Proceedings of the 19th International Conference on
Intelligent Virtual Agents, 22-29.
- Lucas, G. M., Boberg, J., Artstein, R., Traum, D., Gratch, J., Gainer, A., Johnson, E.,
A., & Nakano, M. (2018). Getting to know each other: The role of social dialogue in recovery
from errors in social robots. Proceedings of the Conference on Human-Robot Interaction,
Finally, I also conduct research to understand how technology can improve health, well-being and
safety of workers in their workspaces. In particular, we focus on how “smart spaces,” such as
intelligent office buildings and smart desks, can support workers in these areas. Some of those
- Adami, P., Rodrigues, P. B., Woods, P. J., Becerik-Gerber, B., Soibelman, L., Copur-Gencturk,
Y., & Lucas, G. M. (2021). Effectiveness of VR-based training on improving construction
knowledge, skills, and safety behavior in robotic teleoperation. Advanced Engineering
Informatics, 50, 101431.
- Awada, M., Zhu, R., Becerik-Gerber, B., Lucas, G. M., & Southers, E. (2021). An
emotional and physiological assessment for VR-based active shooter incident simulations.
Advanced Engineering Informatics, 47, 101227.
- Aryal, A., Becerik-Gerber, B., Anselmo, F., Roll, S. C., & Lucas, G. M. (2019). Smart
promote comfort, health, and productivity in offices: A Vision for future workplaces.
- Khashe, S., Lucas, G. M., Becerik-Gerber, B., & Gratch, J. (2019). Establishing social
between buildings and their users for enabling human-building interactions. International
Journal of Human-Computer Interaction, 35.